Thursday 14 May 2009

Tow Bar or not Tow Bar

Well, us classic car nuts, sometimes we do things just for the sake of it. This time, I spotted a P6 tow bar on eBay. Hmmm, I haven't got one of those .......... I have now! Not that I've ever towed anything, or got anything to tow, or intend to tow anything. That's not the point, it's on optional extra and I've got it!
Here's the photo of the towbar on eBay:

Well, it looks like a rusty bit of rubbish here, but its actually very solid.

The main bar on the left hand side runs between the two bumper irons.

The small bar attached to it bolts onto the rear jacking pad under the car (picture below)

The bar on the right attaches to the other side of the rear jacking point and extends under the boot floor. This bar helps to prevent the twisting action that pulling on the tow bar tries to do.

I gave it a damn good clean up with a wire brush in my drill and some of it was covered in age old underseal - it was absolutely perfect underneath. Anyway, I gave a good coating of Hamerite Smooth and fitted it, looks good .......... or nearly!

Scrubbed up well didn't it! You can see just underneath the push button for the boot where the tow bar bolts onto the rear jacking point. Of course I've taken the rear bumper and valance off to trial fit, because they're in the way to drill the jacking point, and I'm taking the opportunity to respray the valance at the same time.

Now, why did I say it "nearly" looks good? Look at each side of the towbar iron, it looks like this:

The tow bar, even though it was removed from a Rover P6 (I've emailed the seller to ask how it was attached when they removed it - but not holding my breath!) is too short by about 3/8 inch each side. At the moment, I'm using flanged nuts (oversized, nuts are M10, bolt is M8) to act as spacers that I can tighten the two up good and tight. Still not sure how it will fit once the bumper is back on, but that'll have to wait until the weekend when I've finished painting the rear valance.

I've checked measurements with my P6 friends, and it's definately the towbar that is short, my bumper irons are in the correct place!

As I'll probably never tow anything - or if I did it would be no more than something the size of a camping trailer, I'm not too worried. What I'll probably do, when I eventually get round to buying a welder (in how many years time?) will be to weld on a thick extension plate that will make it the right size overall and get rid of the spacers.

So, now were just waiting for the valance to be painted..........

Well, I heard back from the seller and they don't understand it either, never mind, it'll be fine.

I finally got the valance painted, I bought some aerosols from Sayers of Northampton that were colour matched to my car, good matching job they made of it too! The chrome flipper arrived and so too has the 1½" spacer so she's all back together.


Super job, really pleased the way she's turned out and I do think the chrome flipper looks great. You've also got to admit, the colour match of the valance is outstanding.

1 comment:

Fleet Motorglass Ltd said...

Nice Post...................................and Thanks for your information.


Windscreen repair in Milton Keynes listens to the requirements of the cracked screen. To know how, read this article and visit : http://www.fleetmotorglass.co.uk/